Ph.D., University of Rochester, 2006
Ph.D., University of Rochester, 2006
- Associate Professor, Department of Political Science, Rice University, 2015 -
- Assistant Professor, Department of Political Science, Rice University, 2009 - 2015
- Assistant Professor, Department of Political Science, University of Minnesota, 2005 - 2009
- International Institutions: Theory and Practice of the UN, ICJ, IMF, WTO, AIIB
- International Conflict: Territorial Disputes, Alliance Politics, State-building, Peacekeeping Operations
- Applied game-theoretic modeling
- US-China Relations, Chinese Foreign Policy
- Visiting Scholar, University of Mannheim, Germany, June 2014, 2015
- National Fellow, Hoover Institution, Stanford University, 2012-2013 Visiting Assistant Professor, Center for International Security and Cooperation (CISAC), Stanford University, 2012-2013
- Fellow, Niehaus Center for Globalization and Governance, Princeton University, 2007-2008 Theories of International Political Economy and China Conference
- University of Minnesota Institute for Advanced Study Fellowship, Fall 2007 (declined)
- University of Minnesota Grant-in-Aid 2006-2008
- W. Allen Wallis Institute of Political Economy Fellowship, 2004-2005
- EITM Best Poster Award, MPSA, 2004 (with Kristopher W. Ramsay)
- University of Rochester Fellowship, 2000-2004
- Forthcoming China's Evolving Motivations and Goals in UN Peacekeeping Participation (with Xiaojun Li and Fanglu Sun) International Journal
- 2017. Mixed Signals: IMF Lending and Capital Markets (with Terry Chapman, Xin Li, and Randy Stone) British Journal of Political Science 47(2): 329-349. Related Blog Post
- 2014. To Concede or To Resist: The Restraining Effect of Military Alliance (with Jesse Johnson and Ashley Leeds). International Organization 68 (4):775-809.
- 2014 Compromised Peacebuilding (Online Appendix) (with Michael Barnett and Christoph Zurcher). International Studies Quarterly 58: 608-620. Related Blog Post
- 2014. Institutional Opposition, Regime Accountability, and International Conflict (with Daina Chiba). Journal of Politics 76(3): 798-813.
- 2014. New Alignments? The Geopolitics of Gas and Oil Cartels and Changing Middle East (with Amy Jaffe and Ted Temz). Economics of Energy & Environmental Policy 3(1).
- 2012. International Organizations as Policy Advisors (with Randy Stone). International Organization 66 (4): 537-569.
- 2011. International Institutions and Credible Commitment of Non-Democracies (with Erica Owen). Review of International Organizations 6: 151-162.
- 2010. The Strategic Use of International Institutions in Dispute Settlement (Online Appendix). Quarterly Journal of Political Science 5(2): 107-131.
- 2010. Outside Options and Burden Sharing in Nonbinding Alliance (with Kristopher W. Ramsay). Political Research Quarterly 63(2):188-202.
- 2008. The Informational Role of International Institutions and Domestic Politics. American Journal of Political Science 52(2): 305-321.
- Historical Ownership and Territorial Indivisibility (with Xiaojun Li).
- Territorial Indivisibility and Domestic Preference for Dispute Resolution: Evidence from Japan (With Xiaojun Li, Atsushi Tago, and Daina Chiba)
- Will of Minority: Rule of Four on United States Supreme Court (with Tim Johnson and Jason Roberts)
- Market Economy and Government Intervention. The Commercial Press (商务印书馆), Beijing China 1998 (Co-authored).
- Modern Business Cycle Theory (Edited by Robert Barro, Harvard Press 1989). The Commercial Press (商务印书馆), Beijing China 1997. To be reprinted in 2017.
- 特朗普当选不是平民击败精英，而是平民之间出现了沟通危机。2016-11-23澎湃新闻 外交学人专栏 (Trump Victory Not a Defeat of the Elites by the Masses, but a Result of Deep Division in the American Electorate. The Papers, Nov 23 2016)
- 让世界听懂中国倡议：外交话语需清除表述中国自身利益。2016-01-06 澎湃新闻 外交学人专栏 (China Should Explain Self-interest More Clearly in Its Foreign Policy Initiatives. The Papers, Jan 6 2016)
- American Political Science Association, 2000-present
- Midwest Political Science Association, 2002-present
- International Studies Association, 2002-present
- Peace Science Society, 2003-present